Monday 29 May 2017

The Home Straight

Well, as a journey, trying to get my first indie published RPG adventure has taught me a lot so far. So as a quick summary:

  • For every note written down there are 20 things I have generated in my head.
  • I have to try and get those 20 things out, and in a way that makes sense!
  • The first thing I write is likely tosh and will require re-writing.
  • Art makes things really look better.
  • Layout is really not the easiest thing in the world.
  • Layout takes way more time than anyone could imagine if they haven't had to do it.
  • When I layout a document, it flows subtly differently to when it is just in a text document. I need to change some of the text to take this into account.
So after those quick lessons learnt I'm heading into what I see as the final stretch! So whats left to do ...

  • Lay everything out. (I have a PDF with everything in but the page numbers need sorting, and the formatting is only done for the first 3 chapters)
  • Commission the art I want to finish it off. I have 2 pieces in, and 2 out on commission at the moment. My rate of art commissioning is dictated by my available funds :\
  • Finish the pre-generated characters (I'm setting myself a goal of 1 per night and I need 8, one for each super power).
  • Get the maps and insert them in.
  • Get it play tested.
  • Make changes from play testing.
  • Publish.
Ok so looking at it now that list looks quite daunting, but really compared to getting everything written originally it isn't worrying me :) 

So as I sit here I have a PDF that is starting to look like a finished article. Still a work in progress but the bulk of the content is there. I find myself querying whether I put too much information in, whether it is overkill, this is meant as a one night adventure. I know one of the great things with Fate is that there is so much scope to expand the story and go in any direction, it shouldn't be too constrained. But then I also, and this is just my opinion, think that if I'm asking for someone to pay for something, then I should give them as much information and content as possible. They can use as much or as little as they want, but the seeds should be there for them to build off, or use in their entirety.

Only time will tell. With this being my first piece of work I'm sure there will be things I get wrong, and I will need to work on that and improve what I deliver. But then I think we could use that as a great way of living life. I will try, I may well get things wrong, but I will learn and I will strive to get better.

On that note I'm going to go work on a mechanic for a totally different RPG.



No comments:

Post a Comment